Friday, July 19, 2013

Tricolor Chevron Tutorial

 So here's the scoop on how I created the Tricolor Chevron...

The pattern: Oliver+S Rollerskate Dress with these alterations: I went one size down (I would normally sew a size 5, so for this I sewed a size 4 and I do have to admit that it is a little snug when putting it on and taking it off, so my advise would be to make the back opening just a little bit deeper), eliminated the elastic waistband, added on seam side pockets, and added .5 inch in length
The fabrics: solid cotton fabrics in turquoise, white, and gray, lining is 100% cotton voile in white

 First up I started with an idea and made a sketch. I actually traced the View A front drawing from the sewing pattern (because I am so bad at drawing), then added my details. I then sat down and figured out how I was going to execute my vision. My number one priority was that I wanted that top turquoise stripe of the chevron to be thick enough to cover the whole shoulder.
 Second I created my own textile by cutting out strips of fabric:
  • Turquoise was cut 6.5 inches wide
  • White was cut 4 inches wide
  • Gray was cut 4 inches wide
 I took these strips of fabric and I sewed them together (using .5 inch seam allowances, then pressed the seams open) to make striped fabric.
 Lastly I cut out the pattern pieces at a 45 degree angle, adding .5 inch seam allowance for the center seam for the front 2 pieces. The first front piece I cut out using the paper pattern.

 For the second front piece I placed the first front piece on top (right sides together) to match up the stripes and get a perfect mirror image. I used the same method for the 2 back pieces.

 Then I sewed everything together, when sewing up the side seams that is when I added the on seam side pockets using Freshly Picked's pocket pattern.
 In the end the actual dress turned out to be a little different from the original sketch and that is because I decided to make a tricolor textile with varying thicknesses for the chevron, this was after seeing the inspiring photos from the Christian Siriano (Project Runway Season 4 winner) Resort 2014 collection.
PS I created this dress for the FLIP This Pattern Series and now through Sunday July 21 11 PM CST voting is going on, 3 different designers shared their FLIP, go here to vote for YOUR favorite.

PPS Would you like to learn another way to do color blocking? Check out color blocking 101 on the Oliver+S blog.