Thursday, November 1, 2012

Shortening Metal Zippers from the Top Tutorial

 Shortening Metal Zippers from the Top Tutorial

For when you can't get a short enough zipper for a project that you're working on, don't despair, you can shorten it.

I needed to reduce the length of a couple of zippers (from 7 inches down to 3.5 inches) for exposed zipper pockets for a pair of pants I was sewing for my son, here's how I achieved that.

Supplies needed:
:: metal zipper
:: 2 top stops (I got mine from a clothing zipper repair kit that I bought at the local fabric store)
:: diagonal cutter pliers
:: long nose pliers
:: ruler
:: disappearing ink marker
:: scissors
:: liquid seam sealant
 Starting from the bottom stop, measure the desired length of the zipper, then using a disappearing marker, make a mark on the tape.
 Using a disappearing ink marker, make a 2nd mark 1 inch above the 1st mark. Remove the zipper teeth between those 2 marks, using a diagonal cutter pliers cut and or pull each tooth. (Note: these metal zipper teeth can be difficult to cut, at least they were for me & watch out, they can go flying... I'm still finding little cut up metal zipper teeth all over my sewing room)
 Place a top stop above the highest zipper tooth, using the long nose pliers, pinch the top stop together so that it is secure. Repeat this for the other side of the zipper.
 With a scissors cut off the excess zipper at the 2nd mark that you made.
 Apply a small amount of liquid seam sealant to the cut edges, this will prevent the fabric from fraying.
All done. Now you can use your new shortened metal zippers.