Sunday, October 28, 2012

Joseph and Mary Costumes



We will be attending an All Saint's Day party soon and this year it was decided that the costumes would be Joseph and Mary.

THE PATTERN// McCall's 7733, size small (6-8), it's from 1981, 31 years old, so it's vintage... you know how I love children's vintage patterns. I bought this vintage sewing pattern on Etsy, happy to support vintage and happy to support Etsy :)

THE FABRIC// solid colored 100% cottons from the local fabric store

THE SEWING// nothing fancy here, the instructions were very straight forward. I do have to say that these costumes required a lot of fabric, so I had to cut the pattern pieces out of the fabric on the floor, this has also made me realize that as my kids are getting bigger and bigger that more and more fabric is needed when sewing for them.

The pink scarf wrapped around the head I didn't sew, it was a scarf I bought in France over a decade ago. By the way, that's Baby Paul playing the role of Baby Jesus. Baby Paul is Baby Emma's twin :) 

I'm taking a trip down memory lane and remembering all of the All Saint's Day costumes (either Bible characters or Saints) from year's past... and discovered unfortunately that I didn't take photos every year, but there has been Moses, Joseph and his colorful coat, Saint Louis King of France, Saint Joan of Arc, Saint Elizabeth, and some of the very humble homemade costumes that my children have worn... paper, cardboard, & aluminum foil knight costume... we have more than one of these knitted/crochet chain mail ensembles...  princess dress for Saint Elizabeth...

Blessed All Saint's Day on November 1st to those of you who observe it!